Castor Oil for Eyebrows and Eyelashes
Not all of us are blessed with long, healthy and beautiful brows. For some of us, who long for long brows, Castor Oil might be the right remedy for us. Castor oil is extracted from the seeds of the castor or Ricinus communis plant. The seeds, also called castor beans, contain ricin, which is a toxic enzyme. However, after processing, this toxin is deactivated, and the oil is safe to use.
Castor Oil is rich in vitamin E, unsaturated fatty acids including omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids, minerals, and other antioxidants. In addition to these nutritional properties, Castor Oil is high in ricinoleic acid, as well as oleic acid and linoleic acid.
There hasn’t been enough research done on the effectiveness of castor oil in promoting hair growth and preventing hair fall or loss. However, ricinoleic acid, a chemical compound that constitutes about 90% of the oil, may help promote healthy hair and brow growth.
How To Use Castor Oil For Your Eyebrows And Eyelashes
You may apply pure castor oil to your eyebrows and eyelashes. However, pure castor oil is too thick.
It’s important to choose a product that is pure castor oil. Castor oil that has been blended with other oils or additives may cause irritation and not produce desired results.
Castor oil may cause an allergic reaction, which may result in itching, swelling, skin rashes and redness. These are the commonly reported issues. If you experience any skin reactions, discontinue using castor oil and consult a dermatologist.
Do a patch test before you apply castor oil to your eyebrows, to make sure you won’t have an allergic reaction, Apply a few drops of castor oil on the underside of your arm. Wait at least a day to see if the area develops symptoms of an allergy, such as redness, swelling, and itchiness.
If you don’t develop any allergic reactions, you can proceed with using it on your face.
To apply Castor Oil to the eyebrows, you will need:
- SAWA Castor oil
- Cotton swab or clean mascara want
- At night, before bed, is a good choice for applying the oil to your brows. In that way the thick oil can remain on the brows while you sleep. You may want to protect your pillowcase with a towel.
- Make sure your eyebrows are clean and free of makeup.
- Dip the spoolie brush into the castor oil.
- Apply castor oil to your eyelashes the way you would apply mascara. Be careful not to get the oil in your eyes.
- Apply on the upper as well as lower lashes.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Wash the castor oil off in the morning with water or a mild cleanser.
Because there hasn’t been done a lot of research about this remedy, it’s difficult to know how long you need to use it before you’ll see results.